Saturday

Aloha! (part one)

I had a blast today at the Gilbert Spring Festival at Freestone park. My friend Marilyn teaches hula and she asked me to take photos of her performance. I had no idea what to expect from a hula performance, but this. was. awesome! I had no idea my friend or her students were so talented and now... I kinda wanna learn hula! I started out with this cutie who gave me some perfect shots.Aren't their costumes the best?
The little details like coordinating bracelets and anklets were my favorite.
I think this little one was the youngest... and the most energetic! :)
This one is my new best friend... they call her "cookie." :) I was actually feeling sick by the end of the day and she went and got a snow cone for me - the sweetest!
Another little dancer - check out those lashes!
If I ever see a bumper sticker that says, "Real men dance hula", I'm getting it for this guy. He was the only boy in the bunch and did a great job at the performace.
Pat was a total laugh - I liked her right away - definitely a funny one :)
Mandy was SO CUTE in her costumes - they did a cowboy hula that I loved and I had to get her in her straw hat!!
They used hula instruments as well. I think these are called Uli Uli's - a gourd rattle with colorful feathers.
And this one is an Ipu - a gourd drum. I actually love this photo - I added some texture and really like how it came out.
the park had set up the stage in front of a ton of wires - so I didn't get the best dance shots, but they have a performance later this month, so I'll try to get more then. For now, I put these two together.

That's it for aloha part 1 - get ready for part 2 coming soon from the rest of the day!

I enjoyed meeting all of you so much and can't wait to see you again. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think! And if you picked up one of my cards at the festival, be sure to leave a comment or send an email as well - I'd love to hear from you!!

Mahalo!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise! I'm so glad I got to meet you too! The pictures look perfect! You did such a fantastic job! You're so talented! Hope to see you again soon. :) Cookie

someguynamedmatt said...

good job denise! you did an absolutely beautiful job at this shoot! im really impressed, they look very professional! you captured their faces beautifully.

Denise said...

Matt and Cookie, you are the sweetest! Thank you for your comments and I'll see you again later this month!!

Anonymous said...

actually that was me, adrienne. but matt thought the same thing when he saw them! lol!

Anonymous said...

Great photos...They are perfect...
:D
tyler